Thursday, October 11, 2012

MoFo #11: Cheezy Beer Dip

Ugh, internet.  I have come down with the worst head cold.  The kind where I would really love to just be tucked underneath some blankets, quietly hating everything while the world went about its business. But, I have deadlines to meet and stuff to do, and of course, MoFo!

We actually had today's dip with the latkes yesterday-- I was in the early throes of the cold and wanted something really comforting.  What is more comforting than a big bowl of cheezy beery dippy goodness?!  (With latkes, no less.)

Cheezy beer dip

I'll admit it's not much to look at.  (Taking a picture indoors at 8 p.m. didn't help.)  I'm also not posting the recipe because it's just not quite right yet.  I'll tell you that the main components were toasted walnuts (what?  I had a big bag!), onions, and beer, all of which should have added up to a bucket of yum... but which oddly tasted mainly of mustard.  MUSTARD?!  There wasn't any mustard in there, and yet.  And yet.

The idea's a good one, though, so I'll play with it and see if I can't work out what's wrong... might have been the combo of the small amount of nooch I put in and the particular beer.  Might also just have been the cold talking, I don't know.

We had it with latkes this time, but if I made it again I'd want it with fresh veg, some bread, and some cut up seitan sausages.  (Sausages are the natural partner of anything involving cheezy beery flavors, aren't they?)

By the way, that huge bowl of applesauce from yesterday?  GONE.  The Emperor and I split the vast ocean of leftovers for snack this morning.  When I say split it, I mean he ate about 75% of it and I ate about 25%... he's a machine.  We almost never have applesauce at home (not 'cuz it's bad but because I never think about it-- it's a food that barely exists in my mind) and when we do I usually just give him a little, so he was really delighted to get to eat his fill.  Here he is:

A bleary boy snacks

He looks more bleary than thrilled, which is kind of where I'm at too, but believe me, he liked it...

A sort of incredible thing is happening in our lives.  The Magician is learning how to walk!  Holy balls!  This seems unbelievable to me, even though I've seen it happen before with E.  As of a couple of days ago, he's stringing together 4 or 5 steps at a time and getting really good at judging how far he can get before he'll fall down.  I have been trying my damndest to get a video of him doing it and totally failing, but I got a differently amazing video of him earlier instead.

I got a video of him jumping.

Watch til the end.  He achieves liftoff!






Okay, that's all for the family-talk... back to food stuff tomorrow.


1 comment:

Amey said...

hee hee - I love the video of the little magician jumping! so cute! Soon I will be canning endless vast jars of applesauce, and I will happily share some with you and the Emperor! :)