Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Rainy day... (Return to Normalcy #14)

1. Happy Pi Day! I didn't make pie for Pi Day this year, did you? I'm still kind of baked-out after January.

2. It rained all day today and is supposed to keep going for the rest of the week. I shouldn't complain because we really need the rain... but ugh. It sapped all of my energy and drive to do anything. I went for a walk to the grocery store at one point but other than that, I really just stayed in the house and made silly faces at the baby all day, and did some homework when he napped. Not the worst day, but there was a lot of stuff on my to-do list that didn't get done.

Because of the rain, I didn't end up going to the farmer's market but sent Josh instead. Here are the goodies he came back with:

Farmers market 3/14/12

He got everything on my list that was actually there (no garlic! you never know what is going to be missing on rainy days!) as well as a bag of kumquats.

Oh MAN guys, I had a kumquat for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I'm hooked. They're the perfect sensory experience... the firm texture of the skin, the way they kind of pop when you bite into them, and the way that the peel is sort of bitter-sour and well, peel-y, and then the innards are so sweet and juicy. Oh, they smell amazing too. And unlike oranges (which I love but sometimes avoid because yes, I'm THAT lazy) you don't have to peel them.

So yeah, kumquats. Totally in love with them.

I also really loved dinner tonight, another of Isa's test recipes:

Roasted red pepper Mac

It's mac'n'cheez that tastes like pizza. Pizza mac. You heard me! Yum.

The rain sapped the Magician's energy too. Here he is taking a snooze:

We all look like this when we're asleep

1 comment:

sophia said...

oh, kumquats! i love, love kumquats too. in college we used to steal them off the trees...heaven!