Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Baked everything for dinner! (Still Baking #11)

Today I couldn't decide on something to bake. Then it hit me: bake ALL THE THINGS. I had a lovely trip to the farmer's market with friend Sophia and her gentleman, and then I came home and foraged around to see just how much of last week's produce I had left. Actually, I didn't have as much stuff as I thought I did, which was mildly disappointing (since I mostly bought oranges this week... sweet, sweet oranges), but I DID find some great things to bake. Enough to get me through to the weekend at least, and enough to bake a ton of stuff tonight!

Namely: a sweet potato and some broccoli! And some tofu. Here's the resulting plate:

Baked everything!  Even the broccoli

Sweet potato - I cut it into wedges, tossed them with 2 tsps of olive oil and baked at 400F for 35 minutes, then broiled for about 5 minutes on my broiler's low setting. I read somewhere that they stay crispier if you salt them after roasting, so I tested that theory and I'm suitably convinced. They weren't as mushy as when I roast them with salt on them first.

Broccoli - tossed with another tsp of olive oil and some salt (added pre-roasting), then roasted for 15 minutes.

Tofu - cut into sticks, tossed with about a tbsp soy sauce, a tsp sriracha, a tsp olive oil, juice and zest of one navel orange, and 2 tbsps water (it was a little too salty/spicy without), then baked at 400F for 35 minutes. Took it out right before I broiled the sweet potato wedges, and it was perfect.

I also made a creamy sriracha dipping sauce for the sweet potato fries. So technically we did eat something that wasn't baked. It was yummy though, so shhhhh.

The Emperor liked and ate all of it. I had put his plate on the table right before he got home from preschool and he ran to the table to see what we were having for dinner... saw the sweet potatoes on his plate... and shouted "OOOOH! We're having FRENCH FRIES!" then added "And BROCCOLI!" with equal enthusiasm. He too declared all components of the meal yummy.

Speaking of yummy, look at this snack I had earlier:

Happiness is... A ripe pomelo

That was an amazing pomelo.

And speaking of amazing, I never fail to be amazed by how much we generate in the way of fruit/vegetable scraps. This is ONE meal worth of compostables:

Compost makes the flowers grow

Vegans make the flowers grow! Well, these vegans make my landlords' flowers grow, anyway. (It's a good trade.)

While I'm posting a ton of photos, how about one of my crazy belly? Look at this thing. It's out of control:

39.5 weeks

I was in a greater amount of despair about my appearance by this point in my pregnancy with the Emperor, so I didn't take any pictures. That's kinda sad. I'd like to be able to compare.

And finally, of course, here is the Emperor, throwing his head back with glee and almost falling out of my lap as a result:

Light/laughter

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You and that belly = ADORABLE!!! If I were there, I would start talking to little baby in a creepy high-pitched voice (the one I use when I talk to animals) :) hehe

CraftyEarthMama said...

Love pommelo's! At one point I had to have at least oner per day. I think I burned myself out on them.
Love the belly, it's beautiful!