Friday, October 16, 2009

MoFo Day 10: Foods I Actually Don't Like

Sheesh, this hasn't been my week for blogging.  We had a rough evening with the Emperor last night... after exhausting me totally by eating every 30 minutes to an hour from 9 a.m. onward, he started fussing up a storm around 6 or so.  The fussing is so hard to deal with-- as a parent, you obviously want to meet your kid's needs and comfort him when he's freaking out.  So when nothing seems to comfort him and there doesn't seem to be anything he wants or needs other than a good yell, it's very draining.  I am getting better at not sobbing hysterically when he's sobbing hysterically but it's difficult.

We did eventually get him calmed down via a ride in the car (yay for babies who like cars!) but oy.  It was a long night.  We went to bed at 9 p.m. and it was STILL a long night.

I was thinking about what I could write about today and for some reason, foods I don't like popped into my head.  It's fairly rare for me to meet a vegan food that I don't like.  My palate's pretty accepting, and let's face it, I just plain love eating.  My husband likes to say that EVERYTHING is my favorite.  That's not quite true, but I DO have a lot of favorite everythings.  What can I say?  I'm easy to please!

Here are some things I genuinely dislike, though:

- uncooked onion!  Uncooked onion makes me want to die.  I can't handle the texture at all.  I recently learned that my dad feels exactly the same way about uncooked onion.

- lima beans!  Okay, I haven't had lima beans in a long, long time.  But I really used to hate them.  It comes down to the texture again... they're so... paste-like.

- sundried tomatoes!  I always forget that I don't like sundried tomatoes.  They sound like a good idea to me.  But they have that odd chewy texture and they're so sweet.  Yuck.

- pomegranate-flavored things!  I like straight up pomegranate juice.  I've never had pomegranate seeds.  But pomegranate-flavored things never fail to displease me.  They always end up tasting like this liquid amoxicillin that I had to take all the time for ear infections as a kid.

- lambics and other fruit flavored beers!  No, just no.  Beer != candy, people.  If I want candy, I will eat candy.  Heaven knows, I will eat candy.

- maple syrup!  THERE, I SAID IT.  I feel like a traitor to veganism because it seems like all vegan chefs love maple syrup.  But I feel like the only good place for maple syrup is on pancakes and even then, only sometimes.  I almost always sub agave nectar for maple syrup in recipes.

- peaches!  How can I dislike peaches when I love nectarines so much?  Peaches are fuzzy.  The fuzz freaks me out.  It touches my upper lip and then my lip is itchy all day and ugh.

- fresh apricots!  Dried apricots are delicious.  But I had fresh apricots for the first time lately and discovered that I really don't like them.  Bad texture, weird taste.

- peanut butter!  Yes, really.  Peanuts overall don't do a lot for me.  They're definitely my least favorite nuts.

- beets!  Fresh beets aren't that bad.  Roasted, they're actually okay, if a bit too sweet for me.  But every time I see a beet I have flashbacks to my grandmother feeding me those awful awful canned beets as a kid.  Yuck yuck yuck.

- canned corn!  It just has this SMELL.

- canned any vegetable really.  Canned vegetables make me so sad.  They were basically the only vegetables I ate until I was a teenager, because that's what my family had.  Canned vegetables are salty, mushy, and flavorless, by and large.  Yuck.

- white beans!  Other than that, I've never met a bean I didn't like.  (Okay, lima beans, but I always forget that they're legumes.)

And that's it!  That's all the vegan foods I can think of that I don't like.  Now you can see why I'm the ideal dinner guest:  I will definitely like whatever you're making!  (Unless it's some sort of canned corn-lima bean-beet casserole, in which case, I'll see you some other time.)

2 comments:

Zoey said...

Sorry to hear about Babykin's fussy night. My baby went through a phase like that and the worst advice I got was to keep her up as much as possible during the day so that she would sleep at night. All that did was keep us all up all day AND all night (so I wouldn't recommend trying that). Once we started letting her sleep more through the day, we all got more sleep and she eventually got her days and nights figured out.

I am with you on the lima beans and apricots. There is something wrong with the texture of both of those foods for me too.

coldandsleepy said...

My sister is trying the same thing with her baby (who is about three weeks older than E. Babykins) right now. It's not going too well, but she's insistent that if she keeps at it, he's going to start sleeping through the night. Seems like a lot to ask of a six week old, but hey! That's my sister for you.

My current solution to the sleep problem is to just sleep whenever he does. My husband keeps taking pictures of me passed out on the floor next to the baby in the bouncy chair.